FWS 2021-2022 Costume Shop Main Stage Wardrobe Lead
TAPS(Theater & Performance Studies) seeks a student to support the department’s Main Stage theatrical season. Student should expect to work 1-2 weeks of evening shifts and 2-4 daytime shifts during the dress rehearsal process for three main stage shows a year (one each quarter). An initial training shift in Fall Quarter will also be required.
Time commitment: 1-2 weeks per quarter, 15-30 hours each week, 3 quarter commitment desired
Schedule: This role requires prompt attendance and engagement on specific dates throughout the year with some additional infrequent/non-mandatory shifts. Required shifts are:
Nov. 8, 9, 10, 11, 12: 6pm-11:30pm
Nov 13: 9am-2pm & 6pm-11:30pm
Nov 18, 19: 6pm-11:30pm
Nov 20: 9am-2pm & 6pm-11:30pm
Feb. 28, March 1, 2, 3, 4: 6pm-11:30pm
March 5: 9am-2pm, 6pm-11:30pm
May 16, 17, 18, 19, 20: 6pm-11:30pm
May 21: 9am-2pm & 6pm-11:30pm
Duties and Responsibilities:
Attend and support Main Stage Dress Rehearsals & Performance/Runs: Assist performers backstage with getting into costumes, quick changes, and maintaining the costumes of any repairs/laundry needed during the run of the show.
- Orient student dressing crew on dressing duties, workflow, and backstage etiquette.
- Assist the Costume Shop Lead & Costume Designer during the dress rehearsal process.
- Assist with hair and makeup application, wig needs, or cast training workshops based upon show needs.
- Problem solve costume issues as they arise during the tech/dress process.
- Mentor student dresser crews on dressing lists, dresser tracks, quick-changes, and general wardrobe duties and laundry process.
- Ensure costumes are present and in the proper condition and location for initial dressing, backstage quick changes, onstage dressing, and post show maintenance each show.
- Generate and/or familiarize self with Dressing lists and specific show needs.
- Attend Designer Run
- Assist with Load in & Strike
- Assist with Laundry duties
- No formal work experience is required: training will be provided
- Must be able to lift 30lbs unassisted
- Comfortable traversing and carrying items on stairs, uneven surfaces, or in low light situations
- Enjoys contributing to a dynamic process with a sense of urgency
- Possesses clear communication skills, comfortable communicating with students, designers, and staff and offering solutions
- Able to proactively anticipate and support potential needs
- Able to quickly adapt; able to maintain, track, and pivot tasks as priorities shift or evolve
Students will engage with performers in backstage environments and work in close quarters with actors, deck, costume, makeup, and hair crews. Situational awareness and sensitivity is required. Personal measurements, costume information, and costume shop communications are confidential.
This is an excellent opportunity for a dedicated student who enjoys contributing to a dynamic process and taking the lead in assisting and training students under fast turnaround timelines. Costume Shop Wardrobe Leads are given the opportunity to learn about and lead the backstage costuming and styling process while supporting the individual needs of each TAPS production. If you have questions about this role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
FWS: This position is open to students who are Federal Work Study eligible.